7.05.2019

TGOC 2019 Day 13 - Wed 22nd Tarfside to Sauchieburn

TGOC 2019 Day 13 - Wed 22nd Tarfside to Sauchieburn




AIN'T NO SUNSHINE - Play it LOUD!





I will admit, I was in two minds about today's route.
And, I had 3 possible routes too.
Well 4 actually.....

So, I bimbled up to St Drostans for tea and maybe a bit of breakfast as the Refuge was shut.
Hooked up with my new team (as my old team were still packing, and also as I suspected, going to walk the whole road to Sauchieburn).



I also had a dilemma.
Part of me wanted to head to Edzell and NWB.
But part of me (the honourable part. I know you won't believe that), was heading to Sauchieburn.

Hmmmmm....
Why you say?

Well, Phil had taken a lot of effort to book us in there.
And the lovely lady who runs it had opened up extra rooms just for us.
It wasn't the money, I could do that no problem, but it was really just letting people down.
So, I pondered this issue all the way down the road.

We stopped briefly at the Refuge, so my team could sit in the train.
Let's not mention the train chimney eh Sally 🤔🙄😂


And then after what seemed like too short a time we were at the cut off point.
I had to make a final decision.


Ethics over-ruled heart 🤷‍♀️💖, and with a hug or 3 we said goodbye.
They went over the bridge, and I (having not gone up my original high route), trudged ALONE along the road for miles and miles, weeping into my buff.

I had a brief chat with two other Challengers
(circle 1 below, pedants will say noooo Ellipse 🙄) near Millden Cottage.
They were trying to get across the iron bridge, but couldn't find it.
I told them two possible routes to it, but suggested that it was easier just to go back about 1 km, and go over the proper bridge.

They headed back, and then later, when I was removing waterproofs, as it was now hot, they came past again, having decided to walk the road to Edzell 🙆‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I carried on still alone until I finally got to the cut off to head up.
A very large pack of large barking dogs appeared to be in the field.
Hmmmmmmm
Luckily, when I got there, the track was to the left of the fence, and my new band of noisy dogs were held the other side.
I swung round and back up the track.
Would it rain?
It was thinking about it.
I couldn't be bothered with waterproofs again.
It was bloody windy though.



Up from the road




I climbed up.
It does go UP.

Quite steep in places.
I went over the top of  Craigancash and over to Sturdy Hill.



No obvious way up here, as there was a fence in the way.
I followed the large track round (the tracks on the 1:50000, don't show the tracks that are there).
As I began to drop down, it didn't feel right, and the direction was now wrong,
I went back to look for a track in the right direction.
Nothing,
Check phone (battery died 🙄), look at map.
I stuck it on a charger pack, and put it away.
I needed to get higher, so I went up over some rough ground to a fence that was on the boundary line.
Didn't look electrified, but it was rust in places.
No real choice than clamber over it, and hope it stayed up.
As it was approx 10' high, what could go wrong?
I chucked the poles through and clambered over with rucksack still on.

There was another great big track the other side.
This looked more like it.

I followed this. Checked compass it was the right way, and avoided the other superficial tracks that littered the hill.

This was a crazy track in places, as it cut right through the huge peat hags.



Heading to Sturdy Hill from Craigancash

Top track through the hags after clambering the fence


It was definitely a windy day up here.
I came across a very good condition hut, and had a look inside out of the wind.
It doesn't show on the 1:50000 map.




Then carried on starting to drop down to Herd Hill to pick up the edge of the woods and then onto the forest track down to the farm and the road.



Enough phone charge for pictures, as it was attached to the power-pack.
Does make it heavy in your pocket though.







No pictures after this.
I almost went the wrong way at the road.
Lucky I looked at the map.
Doubled back to the correct road, and then stuck some headphones in, and basically boogied my way slowly to Fettercairn.

I pondered on stopping in the cafe or a pub here.
TBH, I bloody well should have done.
The cafe was still open ,although the pub was shut.
And I was seriously gasping.
BUT, I just wanted to get off this fucking tarmac.

So that was it.
I stuck my head down, and with a few foot rest stops as they now ached, I trudged the hard yards.

I guessed Al and Phil were somewhere on route.
I assumed they had taken the tarmac trail.
I didn't know until later, how many cafe stops they had managed.

I am going to rename them

"The Tarmac Tearoom Twins" - let's hope that is taken as a joke 🤔😂

And then eventually, I got to Sauchieburn Inn.
Went in.
Was greeted with a fine chat, and offers of tea and ......
Beer.....
She had gone and bought beer in especially.

The evil part of me thought..
I could drink all Al and Phil's too.
BUT I DIDN'T

Then I went to my room.

Had a shower.
Tidied up.
Sprayed my shoes with copious air freshener.
It didn't really work, it just masked the pending destruction of senses.



Hung my dripping tent from the morning on the line.
Went back to my room

And lay down with my second beer.

Sent a message of beer bottles to my New A Team, who were probably partying in NWB 💔





And that was it really.
No party here at all.

Al and Phil arrived a bit later.

We had a bloody fine meal, with more beer.
Then everyone drifted back to their rooms and I guess slept.

I watched a bit of TV.

Pondered on my route for the last day.

I wasn't totally sure about our original finish point.
Not because of my team, but because I had a gig to do with Humph and Mick and co.
I needed to finish by 14.00 at the latest, meaning be back at the Park by then.

I also knew that Mick was going to NWB and would be heading to the coast at Kinnaber links.
And apart from Music, actually, it was Mick's 20th.
Hmmmm... Be nice to get there for that too.

It was only 6km to get to Maykirk.
Tomorrow was going to be a hectic day for me too.

I had a message or three with Carl to see if option 2 might work.




OK, there was a bit more message conversation than that, but it was an idea.

And then it was sleep.

Breakfast was at 8.00, and I had to get away sharpish.

And you'll have to wait for that!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment