7.01.2019

TGOC 2019 Day 10 - Braemar to Loch Callater Lodge (Party)


TGOC 2019 Day 10 - Sun 19th
Braemar to Loch Callater Lodge (Party)








David is heading off.
He has had a phone call that means he needs to head back.
Not urgent, but he feels the need NOT to loiter another day.
With hindsight, maybe yesterday's short walk in, and the long diversion the day before have worked out well.

The day begins with breakfast at the B&B.
I ponder that I might head into town about 10.00 (ish)
I consider, that I might also book this place IF I get in next year.

David sets off, as he has a long day to Ballater.

I need to buy a couple of things.
Probably grab a second or third coffee, and then look at the Corbett route.

Meantime, Messrs Sloman and Lambert have already negotiated plan B.
They are staying at the B&B another night.
No meander to Callater Party for them.

I leave them changing rooms.
I say "bye", and head off.

About 800m into town.
Down to the coffee shop for a chat with folk.

Then at some point, it was time to walk down the Golf Course Road, over the bridge and towards Callater.
Gerry and I decided that we would walk together. It was a sort of reunion from 2016.

I've dropped a few pounds since then


We headed off, catching up with Mick on route.








A bit further up the track, Mick headed off, and Gerry and I headed up the zig-zag to the long ridge to the Corbett.
Weather looked good, but stormy clouds were brewing.
The inReach track shows approximate lone of attack, but as it only picks up every few minute, it's a but all over the place.



Looking down at Callater


Looking towards the Summit
Once we finally got to the summit point we had a brief stop.
There was a good signal, and I relayed in my plans for the next 2 days to JJ.
As I appeared to have now abandoned my team.
I had met Carl and his mangled heels in town, and decided I would walk with him tomorrow down to Clova, and then over to Tarfside.

As I was chatting to John, Gerry pointed out the rather large rain cloud heading our way.
I looked over my shoulder, and there it was.
Closing in.

With a final comment...

"Shit weather coming in fast... bye John", I grabbed my stuff, and we headed down rapidly (and it is a long way), to attempt to beat the weather.



Definitely coming our way 🙄🥴


It is a great little route to Callater.
So much better than that bloody long track.

The route off the summit has NO TRACK.
Just look for the best route down.
Eventually you do pick up a track, and then following it for a short bit (left), you can negotiate a good route all the way to the lodge, first through some green patches, and then on a narrow track that crosses a bridge near the bottom.
Just watch the hill, and use your hill craft to see where it probably goes.

Just on the track, this is the best drop off point to Callater.
You can't see the track further down, but there is one.




And then it was down to tea and an evening of entertainment.
My phone camera is crap in poor light, so no piccies.
Many turned up.
Much drink and alcohol.
Some may have over indulged.
I was actually very very good.
Although, I didn't actually get to sleep until about 3.00 am
So, getting up at 07.15 am, didn't help much.

Hopefully, I may find some pictures off other blogs of the evening I can steal and post here.

Many Thanks to Carl for these 👍😃






Last 3 were the Callater rendition of "Reviewing the Situation", Fagin's final song from Oliver






Sorry Tim.
Had to go in though mate :-)

Tomorrow was going to be another longish day, and again racing the weather..

And then it would be a NEW Team 😃


1 comment:

  1. Good stuff!
    I'm enjoying your adventures to date....so please hurry up with your Apres Callater.

    ReplyDelete